Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Can anyone tell me how to.....

just be happy with who I am, mostly my weight and just my body image in general? I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and I just really don't know how to do it. I really want Carlie to be happy with herself, no matter what, and I'm afraid I'm not going to be the best role model for her in this area.
In my younger years, I was always the girl who could eat whatever, and stayed super thin. Well, 3 pregnancies later, I'm just not that girl. I have to say I'm a bit jealous of those girls who are still that girl (my sister is one of them, and I love her, but, yea...I'm definitely jealous). I finally threw in the towel and did Weight Watchers last year and did pretty good with it, I have to say! I met my goal weight and became a lifetime member. Well, slowly over the last few months I added one pound, and then another...now I've gained back ten or so of those pounds I worked so hard to loose. I guess I'm just feeling discouraged right now! I really hated most of the picture of myself from my vacation (I know hardly anyone ever likes pictures of themselves). I know what I need to do to get back on track (count points, exercise and drink water), but for some reason I just can't motivate myself to do it. I was playing racquetball with some friends in the mornings, but that sorta fizzled out when kids started getting sick and life got in the way. I know all I'd have to do is call them and we could start again, but do I do it? No. We also have a full circuit weight machine in the basement, and just bought an elliptical machine. Have I used it even once since we bought it? No, again! All I have to do is walk to the basement, turn on the music and work out...so, why don't I? I'm just not quite sure? I know I feel much better when I do.
Anyone have any advice for me? (Besides telling me to cut out soda, I just can't do that one! I really look forward to my 10:00 coke run with Lisa every morning and usually I only have one a day. I have compromised and started drinking diet again.) I'm totally not looking for sympathy, or compliments etc... I'm truly wondering how to motivate myself, and at the same time have a positive attitude, no matter how I look. Does that even make any sense? I'm not sure if I'll even end up posting this whiny little montage, but it has felt good to write it all out and think. But if I do post it, please give me any advice you have!

9 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Lisa said...

Ok, so I know you didn't want to do this for compliments, but I am going to give you some anyway! I think you look awesome! And looking at the pics from Bermuda I don't know why you aren't happy with them. Honestly I don't know if there is anyone that is ever totally satisfied with themselves, I know that I am not for sure. We really do need to start playing again and walking. I have felt so crappy since we stopped and I totally need the exercise for my mental stability (not that there is anything stable about it :) We just need to start dragging each other and get it done because I am not motivated at all lately!

Ann Marie said...

Friend-
I can't believe that you are feeling insecure right now. When I saw you and Lisa saturday, you both looked the same size to me. I didn't stare you up and down because I don't judge my friends with their weight. I have thought you were always a great, and beautiful girl. And very honestly, sll the time I have known you, I couldn't even tell you at what stage I thought you looked like you had gained any weight. (besides being pregnant .)

We Women do this to ourselves you know-- always thinking we have to be skinnier, prettier, etc.. And when we reach the skinny that we desire, then we hate our boobs or what have you. There is always something. We have talked about this before... I'm sure if you asked Derrick, he would think you were babealicious.. :) Cuz, you are. I love you, and want to talk more, so maybe a phone call tomorrow?? Love you.. Ann

Suzanne said...

Monica,
ME TOO! I paid mega bucks last fall to work with a nutritionist and in the past 3 months have gained it all back. But lets rewind about the whole body image thing. I think we all would like to have the body of an 18-21 year old again, but lets face it, we are moms and too many distractions to stay that focused. Let me give you a thought. Ask yourself one question, do you want that body image becausee that is what the world tells you you should look like? You should work out and eat right because for shear health reasons, you will be a lot better off. Not only physically but mentally also. It seems that you can be content a lot more with your body image, if you have done something to help it on a daily basis. Thats the hard part! If you are struggling to stay disciplined, I can relate. I know why I struggle! A lack of motivation and accountability. I was accountable to my nutritionist on a weekly basis and I had sheer motivation for the goal I wanted to reach. So if you are looking to start any kind of support group, I am right there with ya!! We may be long distance, but set a goal and lets get motivated and I will be there to do this beside you. Dream big!! Make the healthy choices because it is good for you and good for your family if you are happy. And most of all let go of what the world tells you is beautiful, you already have obtained beauty!

Shalise said...

Monica-
I understand your discouragement, I feel the same way and will be joining weight watchers next week, we are going to Las Vegas this weekend to Dillons baptism..
I was doing so good in the fall/winter time, and then I got pregnant and with my history I had stopped doing it for the sake of not losing the baby (apparently it did not matter).

I have had 6 pregnancies in 7 years- and only have 2 living children to show for it, other then that I get to show off my weight, tears, depression etc.

So, to get to the point, you are a great role model to Carlie: I am not one to judge or tell people what to do, I am in a slump myself (w/o any energy). I think mine is more depression after losing this last baby.

You have had 3 beautiful children and those around you know that you have done a great job, you need to just focus on the love of your children and when you get the drive to do the excercise do it with your kids: March around etc.

Make it fun since it is such a difficult process. And remember 16 is no longer our body types- when we were 16 and 18 etc. we had more energy, less time for food etc.

take care:
love ya,
Shalise

Marilee said...

Want to talk discouragment? I have been a faithful Gym Member for 3 months and I go 5 days a week at 5:00 a.m.(crazy, I know). But I haven't lost ONE measly pound!!!! Anywho, here's the positive attitude: I am awake at 5:00 a.m. in the morning and if that isn't a feat (for me) then I don't know what is. So, even though I'm not skinnier, I am now an early riser :) Perhaps the inches will melt away someday. I am learning to believe that diet and exercise really takes a change of "lifestyle". My Gym buddy (who has 100% self motivation) really helps me--she is always there to pick me up whether I am outside waiting or not, yep, it's all about a support group or friend. I love ya! You look great!! and your Bermuda photos were perfect! Keep up the good work!!

Shane & Laina said...

So, hello, just wanted to say hello. I'm sure when you found my blog, you noticed that your blog is one of my links already. I just love blogging, but I am still pretty new at it.

As for your question, I totally know how you feel, but I think you look great! I was going to comment on your blog yesterday about how great you and Lisa look in those pictures. You are so lucky to live so close. I was very sad when you said you and Lisa go for a 10:00 drink run...I want to come!!! Anyway, my new desire is to learn to love to run, wish me luck. The only help I have found is it is much easier if you have someone to exercise with...someone counting on you. Good Luck!

Me said...

Monica-

I feel exactly the same way. My husband tells me all the time how much he loves my body, but I don't and that is all that matters. Although I would kill to look like you after 3 kids, I know how you feel. I try not to wash my pants too often because I hate that feeling like I have to stretch them out to make them bearable. I wish I had the answer, but I am going through the same thing. I don't want to lose the weight because the world tells me too, I want to feel (and look) half way decent. If you find and answer, would you please share?

Amy said...

Hey Monica,

I feel your pain. I've just begun my own personal hell (I mean journey). I've tried to concentrate on just one thing I can like about myself. I like the color of my hair (terrible for blonde jokes...). I figure after that than the more I improve myself the more I will hopefully be able to find that is likable.
Also, Zac has jumped on the exercise bandwagon with me. It has been so motivating. We swim together. I don't have to feel so self conscience with him and he really does feed me honest compliments. I still have an incredibly long way to go, but, who knows, maybe it will stick this time!

Anonymous said...

Of all the things you wear,
your expression is the most important.