A few weeks ago I ordered a bushel of peaches and a bushel of pears from our friendly neighborhood fruit man. Well, they came on Thursday. Of all the weeks to come that wasn't what I needed, I had Bunco that night, we had to go to Payson Friday afternoon, with Carlie's birthday, sharing time and other things, I just didn't have time. When I was trying to figure out when I could get to them, Derrick so helpfully said, "You do know you can buy those at the store, right?" Really? Since when? AHHH, a big part of my doing peaches is because he likes them! So guess what I did Monday and Tuesday......peaches & pears. I ended up with 20 quarts of peaches and 28 pints of pears. I couldn't help but think as I washed my bottles where they all had come form, and how many women in our families had used these jars. My Grandma Ainge gave me some that I got the privilege of dumping and cleaning, Derrick's mom gave me a big box, and I bet I have some from my mom that I haven't returned over the years. I'm sure some of the ones Jeannie gave me were Grandma Stevens at some point. Some of the jars have blued, each is unique and each has a history and a story. I'm tired and worn out, but I feel better when I look at those pretty filled jars on my counter, and I think they'll stay there another day or so for me to enjoy, before I take them down to my shelves. Maybe I could have bought them at the store, but where is the joy and fulfillment in that?
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
That is so sweet. I bet those jars mean a lot to you!
Great job, by the way. I need to learn this canning thing.
Monica-
That is so impressive! I remember my mom canning all the time, I wish I would have payed attention to stuff like that. I havn't lived near enough for her to teach me.
I love all of the projects you do, you are so talented. :)
All I can say is a tear of joy running down my face! ;) -Suzanne
I am so impressed!
A few things I am SOO impressed about!
1)- That you did this during this srtessful week!
2)- That you thought of the women before doing it.. See! So awesome to have those moments..
3)- That you didn't buy them from the store! Anything bottled ( fruit wise ) tastes WAY better if it is done this way.
4)- That you did this many quarts! You are on your way to becoming prepared! Love you lots friend!!
I am totally with you on this one. The family I married in to (the Holdaways) are really big into canning, which I had never done before. Every year we ALWAYS do dill pickles, along with a changing assortment of fruits, vegetables and jam - wherever the fancy takes us.
I love that the jars all get traded around and swapped, but eventually all end up being used again and again. Some from grandmas house, some from the aunts houses, and some from mine. It's something I want to pass on to my kids, and I'm so glad to have discovered it with my husbands family.
There is always a sense of accomplishment when you finish canning. You are doing something good for your family, and adding to your food storage. However, I hope you had some help young lady. One thing to canning is vital: NEVER DO IT ALONE!!! :)
It is such a great feeling seeing all those bottles lined up! It looks like your box made it though the week a bit better than mine did! he,he You are a super woman (Can I have some of your energy?)
Way to go! Canning is time consuming, but it is soooo worth it in the long run! I bet you're glad it's done--I get to do some more beans tonight....lucky me!
I am so jealous. I would love to learn to can. It's like the only thing I don't know how to do in a kitchen. Just the thought of these made my mouth water. Man, between your post and Ann's-I'm hungry!
I loved your story on the jars too!
Post a Comment