So, as some of you know Miss Carlie Silly Pants is having a birthday in the very near future, (my baby is turning three, how can that be?) We've decided that she really should be in a "big girl bed" (aka, toddler bed) and what better time to change then her birthday? Anyhow, that means she is in need of a blanket/bedspread also, and I thought I'd just whip one up! The problem, you ask. Well, I can sew, but I'm far from a seamstress, to me being able to sew and being a seamstress are two totally different things, a seamstress has TALENT! I'm not asking for compliments here, I know my limitations. So I decided a simple rag quilt couldn't be too hard, in fact my SIL, Julia has made one and she doesn't sew at all. So, I started with a little blanket for her doll cradle to get the feel for it. It's not bad, but it's just not great. I've decided I won't use black thread, though I really like the look of the black, all my mistakes and sloppy seams are glaringly obvious, so I'll use pink. Here is where I need advice. Have any of you done a rag quilt? (you know you have, fess up!) Do you have any brilliant advice for me? I know all of you who read my blog are brilliant, so bring on that advice, and be honest, it won't hurt my feelings at all. Oh, and not to be bossy, but advice sooner rather than later please, I only have just over a week to get this project done! Oh, and yes, I do know sew-er is not a word, but seamstress I'm not, so sew-er it's going to have to be:)
Here is the cradle quilt, like I said, not bad, but not great!

12 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
Monica--my best advice would be to remember that your seams are going to make the quilt smaller than what it is when you have it laid out. So take into accout how much you seams take out. Also your batting needs to be an inch smaller than your fabric squares (you probably kno that). Then just lay it out and start sewing. I don't think there is anything more except to make your seams really even so when you start sewing the strips together they match up. If you are a perfectionist like me all the corners have to be square. I am sure it will turn out darling. I think your doll one turned out pretty cute myself. And I love the black thread by the way.
By the way I hope you don't mind me commenting. I love to follow your blog through Lisa's.
Advice? Where do I begin! J/K.
You know my abilities so I will stop here.
The squares/fabric are so darling! Glad you showed it so I can see, since I live far, far away!
I know it's going to be cute. No matter what you say.. so there!
Love the fabric!!! I wish you the best of luck. A couple years ago, I decided to make one for my mom & dad and Shane's mom and dad...oh my!!! I was way in over my head. They turned out great though, just a little stressful because I tried to do them the week before Christmas (not smart).
The only advice I have is to make sure when you cut the seams (to make them fray) after you're finished, make sure you make the cuts close together...it will fray better. I'm sure it will be so cute...good luck!
Did you buy precut squares? I've been making one for over a year now for Traeden (it's a long story), so I'm really into your post today. Sad to say though that i don't have much advise. What you've been told is about all I can think of too. I cut out all of my squares and it took forever. They are definately hard then they look (at least I think so).
Thanks to all who've comented so far... keep it comming!
Laina~I'm for sure going to do the cuts closer together, I think I'll even go back and re-cut the small one.
Katie~ I didn't buy pre-cut squares. But, I did use my mom's rotary cutter and it went pretty quick.
Have fun sewing, you sew-er! The good thing about sewing is that when you complete your project you can put the sewing machine away for a while until the next cute and fun sewing project comes along.
So you totally know that I can't even give you ANY advice on this since I am NOT a seamstress and never will be one! You for sure got the talent in that area! I think it looks great, and the little dolly blanket is darling and I've seen it in person :)
I think you are too hard on yourself. I think the quilt looks cute. I have never made a rag quilt. I want to try one someday.
Wow...You are talented! But my advice is still going to have to be...buy one! Go to a quilt boutique and buy one! I am, as you know, craft-tarded! I couldn't sew socks together...good luck! I am impressed!
I have started one and it has been a mess from the start (long story). It was suppost to be done months ago, but as you can tell it is not finished yet. I love the doll one. Your off to a great start girl!!!!
Can't wait to see it.
Hey, I am impressed! I think the doll blanket turned out darling. When I get brave enough to attempt one, I know where I am coming for advice.
Post a Comment