Pet Peeves....I know we all have them, right. Well, today I'm going to share, just because this has been bugging me. Lateness. I'm not even sure that lateness is even really a word, but, well it's one of my pet peeves. I HATE to be late to anything. I don't necessarily expect everyone to be as, well, annal about it as me, but it's just my thing. I really panic if I'm going to be late, for some reason it really freaks me out, even when it's something that's really not a big deal. I don't like to be the last one to arrive to things either (maybe I'm afraid people are talkin' about me, I don't know?) I think this dis-like of being late may be genetic. My mom always tells me that my Dad wouldn't go into sacrament meeting late when we were young, he would always say "better not at all, then late".
So, here is the reason I've been thinking about this today. Derrick and I are getting some life insurance (finally). We had appointments scheduled today to get weight, height, blood work & stuff done. The only time that both the person coming and Derrick could work out was during his prep at school. He told her the time frame he had and she said she would be there, she even called and left a message last night to confirm our appointment. Well, 5 min. before his prep ended she hadn't shown up, so he called me and I called her. I'm almost there she says? What??? Derrick was very specific about the time he could do this, and that time was up. She figured it was no big deal to do this mini physical with 30 students in his class? No way, not happening. So, I guess we'll do it another day when she is in the area. I think what bothered me most was, she didn't even apologize for being late and acted bugged when I told her it wasn't going to work out now. We aren't the ones that were late, she was.
I hope this doesn't offend those of you who tend to be late, that isn't my intention at all, just because I am compulsively on time, doesn't mean you have to be. I know it isn't always easy to get kids and yourself ready, and in the car, and things just happen, really I know and I have been late a time or two. It really doesn't bother me much if people are late to a BBQ or a few min. late to an outing, not big deal. It does bother me when I have something happen like we did today, be professional and be on time! Sorry, I just had to rant for a minuite!
Monday, May 19, 2008
Pet Peeve Rant!
Posted by {Mo} at 1:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
Friend-
I'm totally there with you 100%. Only Chad and I are even more anal about it than you. We HATE being late for anything BBQ's whatever. I think if I'm hosting a party, I would rather someone call me and say " I'm going to be there 1/2 hour late " than either lie about where they are, or not call at all. It's just respectful. I am not saying we are perfect, but if we are going to be late, we call in our family.
Life is too busy, and I think people overschedule themselves.
I am like you, and don't often speak up to people like I should.
Your rant, is my rant too!
First let me appologize for any times that we may have been late to any event. Now with that said, it's usually not my fault. I am so like you and hate to be late, but for Ted it's just a way of life.
I'm a little anxious about being on time too, but being part of the Laney Family has forced me to mellow out. However, I still prefer to be on time and to be courteous of others' time. The ability to be on time proves that you are responsible. My dad is never late! (I think it really is in the genes) Love ya!
My OCD puts me on the never be late side. I remember when I was a youth and I went to Business Week up at Utah State. They talked about never being late. They said to actually be on time is to show up 10 minutes early. They also drove home that when you are late, you are wasting other peoples time and that is very disrespectful.
I do have to say that I know people who are late and honestly, I would rather have them come late than not show at all. I do agree with Ann, at least call and let everyone know that you will be running a little behind. It is the most curtious and classy thing to do! Almost all of my late friends do this.
Down in the islands, everyone runs at a slower pace and it doesn't matter if you are a little behind. Maybe I need to take a small dose of that and relax a little. Instead of being 10 minutes early, I should just be 5. ;)!
Monica, the exact same thing happend to me when we were getting life insurance. Only the gal simply did not show up. No call or nothing. It wasn't until the next day that I called her and she said "Oh was that yesterday." I have to admit that I run late more than I would like to. (One of those that how my mom did it) I do usually call. I would never go to church if I was late to sacrement. I guess I know where to do better...
I have to say, I'm exactly the same way. If we aren't arriving early, I start physically shaking...I hate to be late or even on time ( I have to be early). I'm with you too about not everyone else having to be the same, but it REALLY bothers me when they are late.
Post a Comment