Monday, April 20, 2009

{Riding, Riding, Riding...}

Saturday Derrick, Brock, Kaleb and I went on our first ride with the Sand Rock Ridge Riders ATV club. We've been talking about joining for quite awhile, but never did it. Sheri ended up signing us up when she did their registration for this year. Thanks Sheri! We went to the San Rafel Swell area outside of Castle Dale, along with 65 other bikes and 82 other people! We ended up riding 67.4 miles and 65 of those miles were great, but the other few I could have done without. At one point we dropped 1, 800 feet in elevation in a mile and a half! Derrick didn't think it was all that steep, but it was steeper than I like. About three fourths of the way down, my hands and arms were killing me from riding the brake and I finally just pulled off and made Derrick go down the next steep part and then climb back up and take me down. What a good guy he is, he didn't even complain that I was being a baby, and in my defense, I did ride 90% of it. Ann and Suzanne, you'd have been proud of me.... I bought a new helmet just for the ride and I wore it the entire time. I have to admit, I started out wearing it too keep my ears warm, I really didn't want an earache, but there were a few moments going down the steep stuff that I wondered if that helmet may end up protecting more than my ears! I was surprised that the boys did as well as they did, it really was a lot of riding, but they were troopers and did great. I was glad that we left Carlie home, it would have been much to long of a day for her and she had a much better time having a sleepover at her cousin Addie's. I have to say looking forward to the upcoming rides! We really saw some pretty scenery that we would have never found on our own.

Dad and Brock checking out the scenery.

Chimney Rock. This is where the steep stuff was. See the ridge in the background, that's what we came down. The picture from this angle is deceiving, the back area is actually taller than Chimney rock.
Stopping for a little break. Check out the hot new helmet!
This rock says.....
John H. Averett H.A. Petty
June. th. 6th. 18.81
Holy Cow, 1881, that's crazy!
Pretty cool Indian petroglyphs.
Derrick, Oct. 25th, 1990
For some reason Derrick doesn't recall being there?
Many, many rocks to be climbed by two cute little boys!


6 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Heather said...

How fun! I love four wheeling. I only went once but it was a blast. I am also very glad you got your new helmet. You look fabulous in it!

Marilee said...

So you're a riding girl now, ay? Good for you!!! Fun times with the fam!

~Sheri D~ said...

Glad to hear you had a good time. The SRRR club is such a diverse group of people that it always makes for a good time.

The San Rafael is such an interesting area with lots of amazing scenery as well as lots of nothing.

I like the helmet too. I need to upgrade, in order to get Sydney to wear hers I end up always wearing mine, so now I'm pretty much used to it.

Hopefully we can find a time to go together this summer.

Ann Marie said...

I love the pictures!!
Especially the Petroglyphs and Pioneer names.. Too cool!!

Glad you got a helmet.. You never know.. Especially with Daring Derrick!

Suzanne said...

I applaud you for the helmet!! I don't envy you on the four wheeler! You have a ball and BE SAFE!! -Suzanne

Miss Megan said...

I think it's great that your family has found a hobby you all can enjoy. It is so important to nurture and cultivate those things - your kids will have some great memories in future years.

There is a lot of natural beauty here in Utah and I am ashamed there is still much I have never seen. Mike and I are planning a "staycation" this year to save some money and we decided we need to go see more of this beautiful state we live in. Thanks for the inspiration!