Tuesday, October 7, 2008

{Any Profound Wisdom & Advice}

Lucky me, I get the privilege (are you sensing a bit of sarcasm here?) of speaking in Sacrament meeting this Sunday, with the Primary Presidency. I thought since I was called to the presidency a good 4-5 months after everyone else, I would have missed out on this opportunity, but I guess not. I would also think since I just spoke after Girls Camp in June, they might not want to hear from me again, guess that isn't the case either? So, I'm pleading for help here. Our topic is "The Importance of Teaching Gospel Principals in the Home". They specifically mentioned Family Home Evening, but for me I'm thinking more along the lines of teaching by example (I'm not saying I'm good at this, but I do think it's important), I also thought I may add music in, or maybe not? Do any of you have any great scriptures, talks, stories, ect. to help me out? I have thoughts bouncing around in my head, but so far I can't put them all together coherently....I know you are all surprised at that!

10 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

The Crook Book said...

Great idea-teaching by example. Colton and I were talking about that on our way to Provo to get his tuxedo. If I think of a good story or scripture I will let you know! Good luck!

Heather said...

I am sure you will do fine. I am sure you have many stories of teaching your children in some shape or form. I sure you have already thought of that one though. Teaching by example is a great topic for the talk. I can't think of any scriptures off the top of my head but I will keep it in mind and if I come acrossed one, I will let you know.

Anonymous said...

The first thing that comes to me is that Stake Conference where Elder ??(I'm horrible-I cant remember) spoke and covered different things to be a good example about. I have the outline of his talk that he gave out bishop if you want it.

Marilee said...

Oh, fun times for you! Maybe share some examples you have had in your life that have left a lasting affect (some that you now practice because of the example shown you). Such as hard work, creativity, clean and organized home, a home where the Spirit can dwell, good clean fun, family activities that bond you together...I realize those aren't principles like faith and repentance per say, so I guess they are more along the lines of Pres. Hinckley's Be's. I know you will be great! :)

Me said...

Sorry, no profound wisdom here. I am terrified to speak in church. I just thought I would offer words of encouragement instead-so good luck. I know you'll do great!

Ann Marie said...

Oh friend.. I already shared with you my thoughts..Your going to be great! I KNOW IT!!! Too bad it's not the next week... I would have loved to hear you!
I have lots of example quotes, talks and etc.. The first scripture that comes to mind is the Matthew 5: 14-16 ( you know the one that says " Let you light so shine before men that they may see your goodworks and glorify your father which is in heaven " and I of course love the saying
" Live in such a way that those that those who know you, but don't know Christ will want to know Christ because they know you. "

Let me know if you need stories or whatever. You will do awesome though.. I have faith in my BFF. :)

Suzanne said...

I think that you are on the right track. Go with what your gut and your heart tells you. Do me a favor though! When you start, don't crack a joke about avoiding the Bishopric or any other cheesy crack about not answering the phone or the door or how much you want to thank to Bishopric for this opportunity (with a synical tone to your voice). It just bugs! You were called to speak this Sunday because men were inspired by a Heavenly Father who knows that a very special and unique part of you has somethig to share and only you can say what needs to be heard that day to that audience. Be grateful for your beautiful spirit and humble that God wants you to share your beauty! I wish you the best of luck and if I were sitting in the audience, I would stick my tongue out at you to get a smile! -Suzanne

Leslie said...

Music is a good idea. "Lead me, guide me" ? I think That's a perfect one for teaching by example. I love the lds website too, it has so many helpful things there. The Lord has blessed you with good family values. Why was it important to have the gospel taught to you in your home while you were growing up? Good Luck! ;)

Kristen said...

Good luck! I don't have any examples because I've been naughty lately. =)

Maybe you should email me a copy of your talk. I probably need the message right about now!!!!

DeVries Family said...

Man!!! You have such NICE friends...all I can say is HEEEHEEE HEEEHEEE!! So GLAD it is NOT ME!!!