Monday, July 7, 2008

Yellowstone (Finally, I know)

I'm finally getting around to writing about our family trip to Yellowstone....better late than never, right? We just drove as far as Bountiful, and spent out first night with Derrick's mom. She was sweet and took me to Michaels and had me pick out some super cute scrapbooking paper for my birthday. Now I just need to get on the ball and use it. We met Lisa's family the next morning and spent the day at Lagoon. Derrick and I hadn't been since I was pregnant with Brock, so yea, that means our kids had NEVER been. The boys loved it....Carlie, not so much! We made the mistake of taking her on a ride that was probably too much for her first and then she didn't want to try anything else. Kaleb wanted to go on EVERY ride, but was just a bit to short for a bunch of them. We've been trying to use that to get him to eat better (so he'll grow), but it isn't working too well? We spent most of the next day in the truck, but we did stop at Bear World. The kids liked the bears, but the petting zoo was the highlight for them. They had two sets of new baby deer, twins and triplets, both were less than a week old...so cute and soft! There was a funny goat that started to push away a stroller with a baby in it. I about lost it when my kids picked up the chickens, I felt all crawly and icky after that, but my kids were happy. We made it to West Yellowstone that evening. We stayed at the KOA in little one room cabins. Derrick and I went to sleep laughing at Carlie every night. At home we just put her in bed and shut the door. We learned that she either talks or sings herself to sleep. One night she was singing "Rock a Bye, Daddy, Rock a Bye Mommy", over and over...so cute! The next day we went into the park and met up with most the family at Old Faithfull. We saw eagles, elk, buffalo, deer... I'm sure I'm not remembering something. We drove the entire loop, but the last 20 miles took FOREVER, really, as long as the first 100 took. There were buffalo on the road and everyone kept stopping. We were stopped for over two hours. If I never see another buffalo, it will be too soon! We were late for dinner with the whole fam. When I say the whole fam, I mean it. My mom's 3 sisters, my cousins and their kids...we counted 58, and were sad that we had 10 missing. The next day we took it easy and went mini golfing at the worst course ever, it was concrete, and well, BAD! From there we took the kids to the pool. I really think we could take the kids anywhere and if they had a pool, it would be the best trip ever! We took a detour on the way home and stopped at Mesa Falls....beautiful! The only other stop we made was at my BFF, Ann's. She wasn't home, so we hung out with Chad until she got there. She was sweet as always and loaded my kids up with snacks for the rest of the ride home. I have to give a big thanks to my Mom and Dad....what a great vacation!

8 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Marilee said...

I haven't been to Yellowstone for years--makes me want to pack up and go!!

Ann Marie said...

I couldn't comment last night. I tried, but something funky was going on with the blog. I love all of the pictures, and reading about the trip. :)

Lisa said...

You are so on the ball! Now I need to get pics from my trip on my blog. I am so glad that we got to go. I had a blast. It is always so fun to get together with EVERYONE!!! We need to do it more often!

Me said...

We went to Yellowstone about a year and a half ago. I forgot how much fun it is. I know about the whole buffalo thing. There was some big herd in the middle of the road and we were stopped for about 2 hours. It sounds and looks like it was a great trip. Something you'll remember for awhile, I'm sure.

Suzanne said...

Wow, I cannot believe you made it to Yellowstone! I must live vicariously through you. So cute with the bears! I love to see the animals! Welcome back! -Suzanne

The Crook Book said...

Hey, Monica

I hope it's ok I horned in on your blog through Marla's. It is so great to read about you and your family. I miss you guys. I hope you are loving your new house in the Fillmore area. I think of you often.
Love ya, Stefany

Carlene said...

Whose darling kids and grankids are those? What a great family!!! I appreciate all the time an effort it took for you and your little families to be there.

Leslie said...

Monica ~ You're too sweet. Thanks for your comment.

I love your Yellowstone pics. I have tons more that I didn't post because I didn't know how to not overwhelm the page, but you have got it down!! I'll steal the slide show idea next time. =)