Monday, July 14, 2008

Gratitude Post....with a Twist

I realized it's been awhile since I did a gratitude post. This one is going to be a bit different than my previous ones. I was thinking this last week about all the times our family has moved over the years. I can't say that I've loved moving and starting over, but I realized I am TRULY grateful for each move and I can see that each one had it's purpose. So I'm going to tell you a bit about each place we've lived and why I'm grateful we were there.
~ Our first apartment...the four-plex in Bountiful. We lived there the first year we were married. We were close to Derrick's mom and we got to know her better. It was a great place for me to adjust to being in the city and away from my family.
~ The basement apartment in Sugarhouse (aka~The Murder House, different story for a different day). We lived here for a little over 2 years. While we were there I got to spend lots of time with my best friend Ann. I also had the best visiting teacher, who was an example of unconditional love and support.

I can't even tell you how long ago it seems since we lived here?

~ Next we bought a trailer in Woods Cross, we lived here longer than we have at any other place. This poor trailer needed a lot of work and to be honest, I really didn't want to buy it. Derrick did so much work to it, and to my amazement it became pretty cozy. We bought it cheep, and paid it off quick. This made it possible for Derrick to get through school with no student loans. While we were there Brock and Kaleb were both born. Derrick's mom was close and helped us quite a bit with Brock when he was a baby. Good memories, I can't believe we were here for over 4 years!

~ From there we spent a few months at a 1 bedroom apartment in Bountiful (yes, we had 2 kids and 2 adults in that one bedroom). I wouldn't mention this one, but my Great Uncle happened to be the Stake President there. It had been a lot of years since I had been active in the Church, and well, I didn't really want him to know that, so we started going to Church. That was the push I needed to make some changes in my life.
~Santaquin, where so I even start? When Derrick got a job in Springville I told him I really didn't want to go farther south than Spanish Fork. Our realtor found somethings in Santaquin that he wanted to show us, and we decided to at least look. We ended up buying a house that had been re-poed and needed some work. I KNOW we were supposed to live there. I made friends that I will forever cherish, they were both the examples I needed and a great support system. They cheered me on when I went to the Temple and cried with me when we decided to move. I doubt any of the people there really know the impact they had on my life, but they truly made a difference. I am also thankful that during that time I got to spend time with my Grandma and now that she is gone I am glad I got that chance.

Our first REAL house (I'm not sure why this picture scanned this way?)

~ From there we were off to Mona and honestly, I was not happy about it. I didn't want to leave Santaquin and even a spankin' new house didn't make it much better. We learned so much while we were building our house there (I was grateful for that down the road a bit). Kaleb was also able to get into the most awesome early intervention speech program. Now you would never realize that he struggled with his speech, and I think that program made the difference. Mona~ I have to look close to tell if it's the Mona house or our house now... We built the same one TWICE!

~ Derrick got a job in Fillmore just 18 months after we moved to Mona. Our house had an offer the first day we put a sign up so we knew this was the right thing for us, so off went to Fillmore. Derrick's dad and Sheri were generous and let us live in her mom's house while we were building, again!
~ That brings us to our last (hopefully for the rest of our lives) move. HOME! We both always knew we wanted to end up here and, well, it was a long road, but we're here. The things we learned building in Mona came in so handy when we were building our second house in two years, and it was much easier this time around. Most of our family is here and our roots are here. What good memories we have of each of the places we've lived and I can say, I am GRATEFUL to have moved 10 times in the almost 13 years that we've been married. Really the most important thing to me is that my little family is there and that's all that really matters in the end!

Home Sweet Home!

****Edited to add~ We also lived with Derrick's mom for a few weeks after all the drama at the murder house, and rented an apartment in Santaquin while we were waiting for our house to be done. That makes up the entire 10 moves that I mentioned earlier!

9 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Ann Marie said...

I LOVED this cute post!
It always seems to be that the paths we take seem to go into weird directions, but we end up at the place we want to be in the end!

I am grateful for all of the experiences and places I have been too..

I am forever grateful that you lived up here for a short time AND decided to work at the airport, so we could meet... How else would have we crossed paths?? Through Wendee Prows??? LOL!!

Suzanne said...

Monica,
I am not sure if it was the post with the music or just the post, but that was so beautiful, it was almost poetic. Wow, you have had quite a few homes in your life time. Your home now is so beautiful and the spirit of that post made me really think that it is not the house that makes the home, it is the love of the people and friends that come with it! Wonderful job! Loved it! - Suzanne

Me said...

I really liked this gratitude post. It's interesting to learn where people live and how they lived and why they lived the way they did. I met you when you were in the trailer park and it was so cute. Houses are always nice, but it's the small places that really build our character (at least I think so).

Lisa said...

Wow this brought back tons of memories! It's crazy how you forget things. I almost didn't even recognize the murder house, and seeing the CRX in the driveway at the trailer just made me laugh! I am SO SO SO glad that you were able to move home so we could be close to each other and get our cokes daily :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Monica,
I have stated several times, that you have moving down to a simple science now.
You forgot 1 move...after the murder house you moved in with me for a short while.
The day of...or the day after the incident happened. I think it was the day after.Seems that, you were expecting Brock.

Jeannie

Marilee said...

Well, we both left Santaquin with broken hearts and ended up in our home towns--funny! I can't believe you've moved 10 times in 13 years. I still miss you even though it's been years. Guess we better have a card night at Emily's.

Marilee said...

What's your e-mail address?

Heather said...

I really liked this post. I have to say it does not suprise me that you called the appartment in Sugarhouse the murder house. We live in that area right now. There is always something bad going on in this area. Just the other day a man was stabbed right aroung the corner from us. It is not a very safe area but you do what you got to do. This post give me hope that we will be able to find our dream home some day. Your house is beautiful!!

The Crook Book said...

I am so glad you ended up in
Santaquin for awhile. I liked you the first time we met. Thanks for being such a great friend. I miss having you around. I still remember sitting on my porch swing and visiting with you. I miss those times. Addie loved having you as her Activity Day leader!