Last night we traveled to Beaver, as a family to celebrate a special occasion. After 32 years of teaching my dad, Mr. Beckstrand, retired! I can't even begin to imagine the number of lives he touched over those years, and he remembers each student, by name, and can tell you stories about most of them. He began his teaching career in Heber City, teaching fourth grade. From there he moved to Fillmore, where he has taught everything from fourth grade, to pre-algebra, to computers, he spent over 15 years in the library and then taught the last two in 6th grade. When we lived in Santaquin, I was talking to my friend Stefany one day who mentioned that she grew up in Heber. I told her we had lived there when I was young and my dad taught Elementary there. I had to laugh when she said, I don't remember a Mr. Dearden. When I told her my dad was actually Mr. Beckstrand, she couldn't believe it, my dad was her 4th grade teacher. I called my dad to tell him and he proceeded to tell me a story about her...more then 25 years later.
I was lucky enough to have my dad as my 8th grade pre-algebra teacher and also for computers. It wasn't always easy having my dad for a teacher, but I and thankful for that experience, I learned so much from him. This is a little excerpt from a letter I wrote him. "As it came time for me to have you as a teacher, I mistakenly figured that since you knew I was horrible at Math, you would most likely give me a break? I couldn't’t have been more wrong. You pushed me, and giving up or slaking wasn’t an option. I remember getting a 90% on a test and thinking, “Hey it’s an A, sweet!” When the time came for a retake, I didn’t even consider taking it again, why would I? I had an A. You asked everyone who wanted to take the test again to raise their hands and you would pass back test for them. When the tests got to the end of my row, there was an extra. I still remember your answer when the student at the back said our row had an extra test, “That one is Monica’s.” I could tell by your look that I wouldn’t be arguing and I would be taking the retake. It may have taken a few more years for that lesson to sink in, but I knew you expected me to do my best and keep working until I did."
Can I just tell you how nice it was to enjoy a dinner, without the kids crying and whining. I have to shout out a big thanks to my Skyler and her friend Tori, they watched all eight of the grand kids for four hours! And If you ever get a chance to stop at the Timberline in Beaver, do it! Everything was spectacular. The owners are family friends, and Kris even left a sweet gift and card on the table for my dad since she knew we were coming!
Derrick & I
Jeremy & Lisa
My brother Shad and his wife Julia
My brother Kyle and his wife Katy
(aka~Mom & Dad)
My sweet Grandparents, Harold & NaDean
We wanted to do something special to celebrate this occasion, and to let my dad know just how much he influenced so many lives. We contacted some of his past students and asked them to write their memories of Mr. Beckstrand, or Mr. B as many called him. As each letter or email came in I repeatedly found myself in tears, everyone had such nice things to say and such great memories. I was so touched to watch my dad flip through this book of memories. As he opened it and saw a letter from one of the students from his class this year he teared up, as he flipped through each page and saw the names of those that contributed he cried a bit more. I know there are so many that we missed, if you are one of them and would like to add something, you are more than welcome to send it to me and I'll make sure it gets added.
"I just have to say I know that I was so lucky to have you as a teacher and I am so lucky to have you as an amazing Uncle who I love so MUCH!"~ Jaime Rose Beckstrand
"I have always appreciated those that have helped me along my journey in life, and I would have to say that Mr. B would be one of the people on the top of my list of being the most influential to me. Thank you for a job well done, you have touched many lives during your career as an educator. Thank you for touching mine. You made me want to be a better person."~ Dr. Darrin Cummings
"So to you Mr. Beckstrand... Thank You for lending a helping hand to critique the misspelled words and encourage the imagination. Although we didn't work closely everyday, it really is the little things that make a difference."~ Kerra Waters Ryan
“I may not remember what you taught me, but I will remember how you treated me.” He treated all of his students with respect. He was so patient and kind."~ Shiela Lund Sheriff
"I just wanted to let you know that I think you are an awesome educator. I know you have done so much for all the students who have been in your classes. One thing I have always noticed about you is that you never lose your temper. You are always so calm and reasonable even when students stand on their desks!" (there is a great story that goes along with this, I may just have to share it sometime)~ Wendy Olsen Ashman
"It has been many years since I was a student at Fillmore Middle School, but every time I see Mr. Beckstrand I go back in my mind to grade school, and to my friend, and the positive impact that he had on me in my life. My school experience, nor my life would be the same without Mr. Beckstrand." ~ James Monroe
"I, too, chose education as a career, partly because of his influence I'm sure. In my years as an educator I have taught with, evaluated and interviewed hundreds of teachers. Without question, Mr Beckstrand is one of the best. People are given certain talents in life for a reason. God has a plan for all of us. I am so glad that Mr. Beckstrand realized what his talent and plan was. His influence for good on the young people of Wasatch and Millard counties could never be measured. It is infinite in nature and will continue on long after he retires and even after he leaves this earth."~ Paul Sweat
My brother Shad put it so well, when he said, "You have benefited many lives through your chosen career. If I could be as well respected as you, I would consider myself very fortunate and successful."
I spent some time looking through the stacks of his school pictures yesterday, and I had to share some. I also couldn't help but add some of the thoughts past students expressed, I hope none of them mind.
"I just have to say I know that I was so lucky to have you as a teacher and I am so lucky to have you as an amazing Uncle who I love so MUCH!"~ Jaime Rose Beckstrand
"I have always appreciated those that have helped me along my journey in life, and I would have to say that Mr. B would be one of the people on the top of my list of being the most influential to me. Thank you for a job well done, you have touched many lives during your career as an educator. Thank you for touching mine. You made me want to be a better person."~ Dr. Darrin Cummings
"So to you Mr. Beckstrand... Thank You for lending a helping hand to critique the misspelled words and encourage the imagination. Although we didn't work closely everyday, it really is the little things that make a difference."~ Kerra Waters Ryan
“I may not remember what you taught me, but I will remember how you treated me.” He treated all of his students with respect. He was so patient and kind."~ Shiela Lund Sheriff
"I just wanted to let you know that I think you are an awesome educator. I know you have done so much for all the students who have been in your classes. One thing I have always noticed about you is that you never lose your temper. You are always so calm and reasonable even when students stand on their desks!" (there is a great story that goes along with this, I may just have to share it sometime)~ Wendy Olsen Ashman
"It has been many years since I was a student at Fillmore Middle School, but every time I see Mr. Beckstrand I go back in my mind to grade school, and to my friend, and the positive impact that he had on me in my life. My school experience, nor my life would be the same without Mr. Beckstrand." ~ James Monroe
"I, too, chose education as a career, partly because of his influence I'm sure. In my years as an educator I have taught with, evaluated and interviewed hundreds of teachers. Without question, Mr Beckstrand is one of the best. People are given certain talents in life for a reason. God has a plan for all of us. I am so glad that Mr. Beckstrand realized what his talent and plan was. His influence for good on the young people of Wasatch and Millard counties could never be measured. It is infinite in nature and will continue on long after he retires and even after he leaves this earth."~ Paul Sweat "I can honestly say that I always have been, and still am to this day, proud to be Mr. Beckstrand's girl! I feel lucky to not only have had you as a teacher in the classroom, but throughout my life. You are a great example to not only me, but also my children and my husband. Congratulations!"~Monica Beckstrand Dearden
"To Teach is to Touch a Life Forever!"

12 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
Monica, I absolutely love this post! I teared up reading it. I love your dad! He is such a great guy. I know that he has touched many many lives and though I can't find the words to say it I know that he has touched mine as well! I'm glad that you were all able to go out and celebrate with him. Love ya!
What a sweet tribute to your dad! One of my fond memories was playing "Oregon Trail" in his computer class - LOVE that game! :)
What a beautiful awesome post for a great dad/teacher/friend!! WOW!! That was great that you collected all of those tributes!! I know from personal experience that was the best gift you could have EVER given him. Well done Monica!! Super Well Done Monica's Dad! -Suzanne
What a great tribute to a wonderful man!
Monica~
Just wanted to tell you I loved this post about your dad. He was my favorite 4th grade teacher. Heck maybe my favorite af all time. He was always so kind and put up with a lot of "clicky" "emotional" 4th grade girls. Mr B. Rocked! Please give him my best.
By the way I found your cute blog through my friend Melanie Whiting's blog...what a small world.
Also I went to college with one of your cousins Traci Thomas (Beckstrand). Her husband Joel and my hubby were Roomates. We are having them over in July for a little "College gang reunion"(just a little tidbit *wink*)
Great tribute to your dad!
K Friend-
I cryed through this post.
I can see it all to be so true, and I admire that he was honest in being your Dad and teacher and making you work for that A!
You don't need a Fathers Day gift now do you.. You and Lisa always work so hard and do such amazing things.. I love this idea, and the work you put into it. I'm sure it will be something he treasures forever!
~ And 32 years teaching.. I'm sure his retirement from it is going to be hard. However.. Chad's mom keeps getting called back to substitute while people have babies and such.. I think.. Did she retire?
Loved this post my friend! I could feel your heart in it! I love you!
Seriously, what a great tribute to your Dad (and just in time for Father's Day). I'm sure he's a humble guy and didn't expect all the attention, but he deserves it!! There truly is something special about a great teacher like your Dad.
Awesome post for an awesome dad! Everything you said is so true and perfect... I think I may just have to steal your post for my blog :)
What a wonderful post!
That is so neat that you put that book together for him and what is even neater is the people he touched through teaching. Not everyone can say they had a teacher like him.
Great tribute to your dad!
Job well done Mr. Bechstrand!!! :)
Monica,
My daughter, Meagan, had both your mom and dad. I'm sure she would love to write a little letter to him. I'll get it to you.
Sharon
Monica, it is hard to believe our dads are old enogh to retire. I didn't have your dad very long only a few weeks but I sure respect him he was always so kind and concernced for others. What a great dad looks like you are following right in his footsteps.
What a fantastic post! Your dad sounds just wonderful! It's amazing to me that I could get teary eyed reading about a man I've never met or even heard of before...but I did.
Post a Comment