I think we may just have to start calling Carlie, CRASH! We spent part of yesterday at the hospital again, and yes, that would be our second trip in less than a month with the same child! While Derrick and I worked at the park yesterday morning, Carlie was playing and fell out of a swing face first. At first I was mostly worried that she may have a head injury, she fell pretty hard, right on her face. Her poor mouth and nose were full of dirt and she had a pretty good scrape on her nose and lip too. But then I notice that her wrist was a bit swollen and she didn't want me to touch it, so off we went to the clinic for xrays.
This was the look I got when I told her to smile? You can kind of see where the swelling is in her left wrist.
Unfortunately they had to try and squeeze us in, so we knew it could be a long wait. We finally just went over to the hospital and met the doctor in the hall and he checked it quick and sent us for an xray. The xray tech was Derrick's cousin Shelly and Carlie wanted nothing to do with her! I went down the hall to check her in while they started her xrays and she started screaming. I could hear her all the way down the hall, crying for mommy, and I have to admit that got me teary. From there it was back the clinic to wait some more.

I felt so bad for her, she was in pain and super tired. She finally laid down on the table and fell asleep, and wouldn't you know not five minutes later the Doctor came in. We checked out the xrays and saw that she had a buckle fracture in both the bones just above the wrist. She choose pink for her cast, but when he went to get it, they were all out, so she settled for purple. I have to say she did really good while he did the first part of the cast, but then I think it started to hurt her and she started to cry. By the time he finished she was sobbing and ready to go home. They brought us a dose of Motrin for the pain, which she decided she didn't want and she spit it out all down the front of my shirt. By that point we had been there for three and a half hours and she was beyond worn out! As soon as we got in the truck she was out, and that little nap did wonders!

She woke up happy and ready to show off her new accessory! Aunt Lis brought her balloons, "lips" (princess chap stick) and a coloring book and crayons and her cousins Addie and Kamryn brought her some candy too. But the day caught up to her and by 6:00 she had fallen asleep again!

Isn't that the most adorable picture? I just love it! You can see her scraped nose and a little bit of the swelling. It's worse today and pretty black and blue, poor thing! Bath time this morning was a joke, she hated the bag on her arm and was very grumpy about it. I'm afraid we are in for a long 4 weeks!

12 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
Oh Monica! Broken bones are my worst nightmare!! I'm sorry but I was chuckling through the whole post. You did a great job and she looked so much better after the naps. I am kind of surprised that you had a camera on hand at the hospital. Poor little gal! Lots of love and healing wishes from us! -Suzanne
Reading you say that she was crying for you down the hall broke my heart. Being a Mommy is so hard sometimes.
Poor Miss Carly! I have a feeling you are right.. Crash! Too cute!
Her purple cast is darling!!
I hope you are having a fun weekend! Jealous! Love you!
Darling Carlie and her purple cast! I felt so bad for her and that long wait and then for you after the crying and ripping the heart out!
Please inform her that she is rockin the purple cast...Completely!
Have a good "safe" weekend :)
Poor Girl!! She seems to have such bad luck!! She is still so cute though!
Poor little girl! What a day, ay? Sheesh!! Hang in there! (I so wish we were neighbors still so I could bring dinner tonight).
PLEASE don't start calling her "crash"... I already know someone with that nickname, and we wouldn't want Miss Carlie turning into a "Crash" if ya know what I mean :)
Monica our girls should get together. We haven't made a hospital trip yet but within 2 hours yesterday Lil had a gash on her forhead and a big bruise on her cheek. Alls I can say is it is a good thing I didn't name her Grace.
I love purple and would have chosen that one myself.
I'm so sorry she's been so unlucky the last month or so. Not fun by any means. And to hear here calling your name down the hall just adds insult to injury, doesn't it?
I love the pictures though and I'm sure she will to when she's old enough to laugh about it!
Monica so sorry to hear about Carlie's arm. She is so dang cute!
Oh my heart goes out to little Carlie. Poor little sweetie. I almost started to cry during this post. I choked up about her crying for you. I bet that was hard. I am glad she is okay!
Monica it must be that youngest girl that will keep the hospital open. Kaci has had us in the hospital more in the first 3 years of her life than the boys, Dan , and I put together and that is a lot saying Dan is in there a lot.
I'm with Mitch...good thing she's a Carlie and not a Grace!
She might be clutzy but she sure looks cute in the aftermath!!!
Post a Comment