Wednesday, December 17, 2008

{The Reason for the Season}

When I decorate for Christmas, my Nativities are always the first things I get out and the last things I put away, because really isn't that what Christmas is truly about? Our family now has five different Nativity sets and I love each of them for different reasons.
This was our first Nativity. My mom and dad gave it to Derrick and I the first Christmas we were married. It's been through 10 moves and amazingly, not a piece has been broken.

This Nativity is one of my favorite. My Uncle Don made all the nieces and nephews one a few years ago. He made my parents one like this years ago and growing up I always wanted one just like it. I was devastated the Christmas after we moved into this house, when I unpacked it, one of the Wise men was broken and two other pieces had gotten cracked in the moves. My mom had mentioned that she didn't think he still had access to the kiln or the mold and she didn't think I could replace those pieces. I was so excited when I asked this Thanksgiving and he assured me he would get new ones for me.I don't usually put this Nativity out. My Grandma Ainge made it for me and the pieces are wobbly on the base. I've always been so afraid that one would fall off and get broken, I just keep it in it's box and pull it out and look at it every year. I really need to find a place that I know it will be safe, so I can display it.My mother-in-law Sheri gave us the main part of this Willow Tree Nativity two Christmases ago, and then we got the rest from them last year. It fits perfectly on top of my entertainment armour and I love it! This one was a new addition this year and was also a gift from Ted and Sheri. I love the clean lines of the metal sitting on my old wooden chest.


By the end of December I'm always ready to pack up all the Christmas decorations and put them away, everything but my Nativities. Some year I just may be a rebel and leave them out a bit longer or, maybe even all year. I love that they remind me of what should be truly important during the rush of the holiday season and really each day of the year.

6 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Marilee said...

I agree--I love the Navity Scene too. Somewhere I heard that when the kids are naughty or mom or dad yells you put the baby Jesus away until the home is peaceful again and then Jesus returns. Like you, by the time Christmas Day comes I'm ready to put the Christmas clutter away. ONE WEEK LEFT!!

Suzanne said...

I love all of your nativity sets. For the first 9 years of my marriage, we had NO nativity scenes, now I have 3. You have some of my favorite nativities that I have seen around! -Suzanne

Me said...

I love the navitity scenes. My favorite one is the Willow Tree one. I've been eyeing that for awhile now (for some reason I'm just really into that stuff right now). My second favorite is one that my mom has that is made with snowmen. Believe it or not, but it came from Deseret book too.

We had a neighbor one year make one from white chocolate. It was tempting not to eat it though.

Thanks for sharing all of yours with us.

Heather said...

Amen. I feel the same way about Nativities. I love your Willow Tree. Totally cute!!!

Casowhat said...

I love your nativities, they are beautiful!

Ann Marie said...

Darling friend!!
I love them all!!

Do you know that I do not even have ONE large one?? I really need to buy myself one. I guess I always thought I'd inherit a few from my parents collection, but after seeing yours, I so want some big ones. I have lots of little, but nothing your size..
Jealous. So jealous.

BTW: Thanks for your comments on my blog. I totally cried. I forgot I even gave you that..
Thanks for making my day. Love ya.