Monday, December 8, 2008

{Date Night & Family Night}

Tonight was Derrick's faculty Christmas party. Can I just tell you how odd it is to go to a faculty party at the middle school you went to and sit with all your old teachers, not to mention your parents? I just always feel a bit out of place. When Derrick talks about the other teachers and says Phil, or Ralph, or Vickie, or Stuart, it's all I can do to not just say, NO, NO it's Mr. Blad, Mr. Myers, Mrs. Carling and Mr. Bailey. I just can't make myself be on a first name basis with them, it's weird to me! It was nice to get out and spend a little time with Derrick. We really need to have a date night more often, but preferably minus my middle school teachers.

There was no room for Jesus in the inn, is there room in your heart?

From there, we went and picked up the kids, met the rest of my family and got all bundled up for family night. A family in our area put on a live walking nativity program. If you ever have the chance to do something like this, you really should. It really helped me to focus on the true meaning of Christmas and was the perfect way to begin the season. As we walked to the different stops, the guide asked some questions and Kaleb had all the answers. At each stop Carlie kept saying in her loud voice (with her it's loud, and louder) "Where the baby?" As we got to the stable with Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus, Joseph said, "There was no room for Jesus in the inn, is there room in your heart?" Kaleb didn't hesitate for a second before he said "YES!" I hope our family can keep the sweet spirit we felt tonight with us for the rest of the season and remember the things that are truly important in our lives.

7 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Ann Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne said...

Thanks Monica! I teared up on that one! I love ya! -Suzanne

Me said...

I agree with you on the teacher thing. There have been times where I've run into some old teachers of mine and while everyone is calling them Mike, I will always know them as Mr. Johnson.

What a neat FHE too. We spent the night cleaning-fun huh? I'm gald your kids got really into it. And I absolutely love the picture

Ann Marie said...

Yay for a fun FHE!

That was me on the comment deleted earlier. I will have to call you-you call me, and tell you about it. After I wrote it, I wasn't sure you would want a word I used in your comments, so I deleted it.

Kaleb is so cute. Way to go being a good MOM that teaches them about the Savior. Have you read the Ensign article yet that I wanted you to read this month??

Talk to you soon..

Marilee said...

Your FHE sounds like it was awesome!! You must have great neighbors. Are you all ready for Christmas?? I'm not and it stresses me out....AAAAHHH! Love ya!

Miss Megan said...

We took the YW last year to a walking nativity, and even though it was FREEZING, it was a really neat experience. At least for me - not sure if the girls got anything out of it?

Heather said...

I loved it. I love the picture that you picked for the post. It is beautiful.

That would be weird to be sitting around your old teachers. That is funny!