Yesterday we headed to Lakeshore to the Ainge Family party, but first we had to do some last minute shopping with all the kiddos....not fun! I hate trips when you're trying to fit way too much into a day, but such are the joys of living where we do! By the time we actually got there (almost an hour late! Yes, me who really, really hates to be late, was the last to arrive?) I'd had it with kids. Luckily there was lots of room to run and play, and for the most part we got to eat and visit in peace (well, as peaceful as a gym full of kids running, laughing and yelling can be).
Why is it that we go to family parties with people we don't see often and then tend to stick with our immediate family members?
No Ainge family Christmas party would be complete with out the girls (my mom and her 3 sisters) singing around the piano. I loved hearing the songs that they sing year after year, and the good memories that come with them. As soon as the music started Carlie wanted to dance. She's been on a kick the last few weeks, and only wants to wear dresses or skirts that can "dance" (twirl). I convinced her to wear pants, since it was snowy and we were going to be in and out all day, but when the music started, she needed her skirt. She would not give up until I went out in the snow to the truck to get her apron. I've never seen a mood change as quick as hers did, she was blissfully happy as soon as I tied that apron on. She also insisted on taking her boots off, because "my can't dance in them" duh, mom? So, my child was the happy little dancing, barefoot girl wearing an apron. Whatever works right?
It's amazing how happy a little thing like an apron made these two cute girls!
Santa finally made his appearance and boy were the kids happy. Carlie ran right up and wrapped her arms around his legs before he could even sit down... SO CUTE! I was cracking up when Santa started to strip off his jacket because it was hot, and yes I do mean strip ;) Santa brings each of the kids a present, but no one is allowed to open their gifts until Santa says. After they all sit on his lap and tell him what they would like, he has them all gather around and he talks to us about the TRUE meaning of Christmas and what's really important. I love that! And finally they get to open the gift he brought them. Family parties are one of my favorite traditions at Christmas. It's always hard to fit things into our busy schedule, but I love getting together and visiting and I always leave wondering why we don't do it more often?

2 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
Looks like a fun party!
I love that Carlie wanted the Apron. She and her cousin look so cute in them! She's quite the girl.
How fun!! I love that Santa tells the children the true meaning of Christmas. That Santa looks pretty real. He almost looks like the same Santa that is at the Valley Fair mall. We took Ayla and my nephew to see Santa there on Saturday.
Post a Comment