Saturday, June 28, 2008

Creepy, Crawly, Huge Spider!

There aren't very many spiders that freak me out......black widows, and the giants spiders we keep finding around our house, well they totally-freak-me-out! Last summer Derrick and I came home from a movie and as we opened the garage door something ran across the floor. At first I thought it was a mouse, but it was a big spider. Derrick caught it and brought it IN my house. As we looked at it, we realized it had baby spiders all over it's back....EEEWWWW! There had to be at least 50, but maybe even close to 100. It sat on my kitchen counter (yea, I was thrilled with that, but I didn't want to even touch the jar to move it) for a few days and then the babies started to venture off the mama and crawl around. Double EEEWWW, now it had to go! Derrick took it up the canyon and let it go. We had two more last summer and then last night another one was on the lawn. Derrick did some checking and decided they are wolf spiders. Why do they have to live at my house? I can't squish them, they are HUGE and they would crunch and squirt! Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of them or creative ways to dispose of them? I do have to say I'm thankful they haven't come into my house, unless brought in by my husband, but still, YUCK!

ICK is all I can say! It was really all I could do to take the picture. Isn't that thing HUGE, no itsy bitsy spiders at our house!
(by the way, that is a quarter in the bottom of a 32 oz cup)

9 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Marilee said...

Spiders don't really "bug" me (hee1 hee!), but you could have a pest control guy come and spray around the perimeter of your house, in the window wells and inside the garage. It's a small fee, but it's worth it :) (you could always go buy some commercial insect spray and do it yourself)

Shalise said...

Ok, Derrick was too nice to set the critter free! I could not have even done that.. I hate hate hate spiders! You were brave enough just to take a picture.

Lisa said...

This one doesn't look half as scary as the one last summer with the babies on it! As much as it freaked me out, it was very interesting to look at and watch the teeny tiny babies running all over then climbing back on their mom!

Ann Marie said...

I agree.. I would get a pest control guy. So sick. ~ And I'm not even bugged by spiders that much, but a ton of babies on a mama? EEWWWW!
Some places in Utah have more pests than others. You need to check out my cousin Melanie's snake on her blog that was in her driveway. I thought she was joking. So wrong!

Suzanne said...

Uuuuummmmmm.....Monica, Spiders are nocternal (sp?). Are you sure they are not in your home when you are sleeping!

I HATE spiders! I cannot believe your husband let it go! I would call anyone and everyone to come and spray/kill/murder those nasty buggers!

Me said...

I really, really, really don't like spiders. I was at my sisters on Fri and walked out in the garage and saw one of the biggest spiders I have seen in a long time. I looked about that size but was furry and UGLY. Me being the nice sis I am-didn't tell her about it though. I didn't want to freak her out.

Me said...

PS. I love your new name! and Happy Birthday!

The Vegas Veenendaal's said...

Oh, my gosh! I have the biggest fear of spiders, I would have freaked out. I'm like you, I can't smash them because they squirt and make crunching noises, but one time I sprayed one to death with clorox spray. Hee, hee!

Marla said...

Holy Freakin HUGE Spider. At first I was loking at it thinking it was like the size of a nickel until I read the desciption. I HATE spiders. YUCKY!! I am glad that it is in a cup and not roaming free. I have to say my feet are a little "testy" right now. They are touching the ground and imagining things.