Are the rest of you as busy as I feel in the summer? Isn't summer supposed to be a break? I guess what counts as a break to the kids, isn't the same thing for all us mama's! I've got lots of things to share, but no time to sit down edit my pictures and type up a post, let alone to organize my thoughts.
But the kids say I have to share this little but of fun that we've been waiting on for awhile at our house.
We first noticed this Killdeer bird hanging out just to the side of our driveway almost a month ago. We mentioned how weird it was that it stuck so close. A few days later Derrick realized why, it had a nest with 4 eggs there. I couldn't believe how well they blended with the rocks, I'd look away and when I looked back they seemed to be gone. Day after day, she sat on the eggs, through the 100 degree temperatures and rain and hail storms.... it looked pretty miserable to me! I figured when the kids realized that there were eggs out there, that there was no way they end up hatching, but they surprised me and were very good not to bother them!The dad also hung around, and every so often you'd see them trade places for a bit. If you approached the nest, the killdeer suddenly seemed to develop a broken wing. It struggled in front of you, as if it could barely walk, let alone fly with one or both wings drag pitifully on the ground, while letting out an earsplitting squawk! I had almost decided that the eggs weren't going to hatch, but when we pulled in today Carlie said she saw a little bird. I honestly didn't really believe her, since she's said that a few times before, but sure enough........
** Ok, just one more bird story.....I'm not sure how I could have forgotten this one? Last month I ran downstairs to change the laundry and as I walked through the family room heard a loud scratching noise, yes, it did kind of freak me out! So, upon further investigation, I realized that it was coming from the wood burning stove pipe, and something was stuck in there. I called Derrick and he assured me he'd come home for lunch and check it out (lunch was like 4 hours away). When he finally got home and after some tugging and pulling guess what he pulled out.....a bird all covered in soot, who needs a chimney sweep!?!?!**

10 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
I am sad to hear one of the birds didn't make it. But I am hoping the rest grow up to be health and happy birds. :)
I guess I am lucky we don't have birds at our house....you know with all of the cats we have.
I hope the rest of your summer is GREAT....
((HUGS))
Your summer sentiments are EXACTLY how I feel!
Of course the birds love your home.. who doesn't want to be there??
I have a story to share next time we talk... it's about birds. :)
Have I told you how much I like Brandon Flowers? lol!! I hope you've watched Crossfire....
That is so awesome about the baby birds!!! How fun!!
I had some baby Magpies in my yard earlier this summer. One fell from the nest and I was trying to get it back up in it's nest and the mother bird almost attacked me. She was not scared of me at all. The next day I notice the mother and the dad moved all the babies out of the tree. I was relieved because I didn't want to have to deal with mad Magpies all summer and being afraid that they would harm Ayla.
Oh my gosh. I had no idea that a bird would lay eggs on the ground like that. We have nests in the tree's, etc...but I have never seen anything like this. Too cool!
I bet the kids were over the moon when they hatched!!
Are you turning into the "bird lady"? Ha! Ha!
It looks like your summertime has been very busy!
I came over from Cherie's blog. I'll be at the October Blog getaway. I'm looking forward to meeting you.
It was fun to browse through your blog. Your kiddos are so cute!
Tauna
That is so so cute!!! I noticed a killdeer out in our yard the other day with four little babies...I'll bet it was yours. You have the funnest things happen at your house!
A bird in your stove?! Was it alive? That's crazy...and you're nicer than I would be. Don't get my wrong, I like birds and all, but I'm not sure I'd like them on my front porch. Especially if I know that every time I walk out the door I could potentially get pooped on! LOL
It's been a while since we've talked - I hope you are doing well! Later alligator! xoxo
I'm surprised the kids didn't bother them. That's so cute. It looks like you've had a good summer. I'm jealous! :)
Love all of your photo's...you are a pro! I love the way you are putting a photo on another photo. What program are you using???
Post a Comment