A few weeks ago, actually it was on the Fourth, as we were watching the parade, Derrick's cousin Shelli put her arm around me and told me, " Not this Wed., but the next, we're going on a little trip. You probably want to bring some food, and a swimsuit would be nice, I bet Derrick will hook up the boat and you may want a tent. Nod your head and say yes." I didn't say yes, but I didn't say no either. I did mention that he needed to talk to his boss (his dad) and see about getting work off, but she so sweetly reminded me, that his boss at his "real" job (who may just happen to be her husband) would really like it if we came along. Derrick and I talked about it, but it really wasn't the best time.....there were a lot of cons, we had some things planned not to long after we got back, money, the kids weren't sure, actually one flat out refused to go and the other said he'd go, but not get in the water AT ALL, honestly the timing just wasn't the best. We'd pretty much decided not to go until the Monday before they left when Derrick just announced that we really needed to just do something as a family. It was settled we were going. Well, then he came home for lunch and the car died in front of the house. When he got looking at it, there was antifreeze in the oil.... apparently that's not a good thing. I'll be honest, my stress level went up a bit, but we were still going!
Derrick caught a pretty big lizard on the bathroom wall, and Kaleb was in heaven..... He officially loved Lake Powell now!
The next morning (Thursday) we unloaded the boats and headed out.
The scenery was BEAUTIFUL! Derrick kept saying that whoever thought to make a lake there was brilliant! It really was amazing!
Aren't those some pretty cute kiddos? From there were headed over to Dangling Rope marina. It's a floating marina in the middle of nowhere. There is a little gift shop there, a gas station and a little eatery. We got some more ice for the coolers, and some ice cream! (and I forgot to take a picture).
Friday we went to Forgotten Canyon to check out the Indian Ruins that are built into the cliffs there.
We tied up the boats (ours is the one on the upper right hand side,it looks pretty tiny) and then had to swim up the channel you can see, then hike up the mountain a ways. It was definitely worth it. Not only were there ruins impressive, but the view was fantastic!
We also spent some time playing on the cliffs and everyone took at least one turn jumping. Ok, I took one turn (I can say I did it, but it isn't on my list of things I must do again) and everyone else took many, many turns. I was amazed, on our trip to Sand Hollow a month ago, none of the kids even wanted to get in the water, let alone tube, or jump! I don't know what magically changed, but I was proud of them!I'm not sure why we didn't take a picture of the whole group? Friday night Derrick's cousins Randy and Doug, and his girlfriend Amanda showed up. Joyce and Errol cooked us all dinner and we sat around and visited. George and Shelli brought their snow cone machine and both nights we devoured snow cone after snow cone. I think I would have been happy just to have snow cones for dinner it was so hot!
Kaleb even decided to kneeboard that afternoon. He had done it a few times last year, but had always started from a sandy beach with help. Well, there weren't any sandy beached around, so he decided to try starting on his stomach and pulling himself up with the boat going, and HE DID IT! I was so proud of him!SO, 40 gallons of gas for the boat, 48 bottles of water, 12 bags of ice, 2 bottles of sunscreen, lots of hours in the car, and a few minor sunburns (not too bad considering) later........ I can honestly say-
I ♥ Lake Powell!!!
and I can guarantee that won't be our last trip!


8 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
Wow! That looked fun! I have not seen Rainbow Bridge since I was a kid...thanks for the picture of it!
I am SO glad that you guys got to go and that YOU actually LOVED it! I can't wait till WE (hint, hint) get to go! Your pictures are amazin!
SO Glad you decided to go! Everyone should experience Lake Powell at least once in their life if not more!! It is just one of America's treasures (in my opinion!).
We did the houseboat thing with the family a few years back and it was amazing to sleep under so many stars, to find all the secret places among the orange walls of rock and the warm water - Oh yeah it is great!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE all your pictures!
You really saw alot of the area with Rainbow bridge and the ruins, etc...Your kids are so cute and look like they are having a blast.
Great family time is priceless!
I am so glad you relented to go and that you all had such a great time!
Monica, you are such an awesome blogger! What fun summer memories your family are going to have.
I LOVE LAKE POWELL!!!
I went with some friends for our senior trip, it was so much fun....Well, except that we didn't bring ANY firewood. I guess we thought we could just "find" some. ha,ha Yeah RIGHT!!! I think we ended up spending like $20 at the gas station for four little logs. I will be better prepared next time :)
I love all of your pictures. It sounds like you all had a great time. I don't even know where to start:
How about.....
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Indian ruins,Rainbow bridge, Boating, Tubing, Cliffdiving (i'm not brave enough to do it), Swimming....
all I can say is FUN FUN FUN!!!
Glad you all had a good time :)
((HUGS))
OK I feel left out. I think I am one of the only ones who did not go to Lake Powell this summer. Love your Picts!!!! It looks amazing. Glad you guys have fun.
Looks like you guys had blast! I have never been there! I am glad you had such a good time!
I like the pictures of the kids holding up Rainbow Arch!
Post a Comment