Our Engagement Picture~ July 1995
Ok, back to graduation. Some of our class had planned a graduation trip to California. My parents really wanted me to go. Some of my friends were going, but my best friends were not, so I decided not to go. About two hours before I needed to be to graduation, we got a call from one the chaperones, who said someone had canceled and did I want to take the open space? They were leaving right after the ceremony and I needed to not only be ready for graduation, but packed and ready to go if I was going. The next two hours were CHAOS! Between packing and trying to round up enough cash for me to take (my sweet Grandpa Ainge opened his wallet and emptied it), it was stressful and crazy!
Russia ~ 1998Off to California I headed. Derrick's cousin and best friend had hooked up with one of my friends. After a few days, he was tired of being the only guy in a group of girls, so he came up with a plan (actually, here is where the LIE comes in). He went to Derrick and told him that I REALLY liked him and wanted to hook up.....he also came to me and told me Derrick thought I was cute. On the bus ride home, he switched seats with me and Derrick and I ended up sitting together all the way home.
Hawaii ~ 1999
The night we got home, Derrick called and asked me out....to go rabbit hunting?!? I hung up the phone and whined to my mom..... I wasn't sure I wanted to go. It hadn't been that long since I had broken up with the guy I'd been dating and I was leaving for school in 3 months, I really didn't want to start anything, remember I'd been told Derrick really liked me. My mom told me to go and have fun, what was one date?
Temple Square
One date became two, and before I knew it we had spent every night that week together. No big deal, we were just friends having fun hanging out? Right? Three weeks later, Derrick and James went to Yellowstone for a week..... it was the longest week of my life! When he came back he told me he thought he was falling in love?!?! WHAT? No....this was just hanging out over the summer.
Canada ~ 2000
The time came for me to go to UVSC to school and I was miserable, I didn't want to leave. Derrick was planning to go into a drafting program in Arizona for 10 months and was leaving in October. Neither of us could imagine being that far apart, so Derrick enrolled at SLCC.
We got engaged on my birthday, a year and a month after that fateful trip to California, the one I wasn't supposed to go on! We were married on Sept. 9th, 1995. We were the last two people anyone ever thought would end up together. In fact, friends were taking bets at our reception on how long we'd actually last!
Well, I guess we've shown them, 5738 days from that date we were tricked into, we are still happy and in love! I guess that's one lie I'll always be thankful for!


13 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
Love your story! Sometimes it takes a "nudge" (or a lie ha ha) to get things going!
The pictures of the places you have traveled are great - so fun!!
I am just confused with the dates but I think I can figure out that you were engaged in 1995 and not 2005??
Happy Valentines Day!
CHERIE....thank you for noticing that! I don't know why I did that? Maybe I'm just trying to comvince myself that I'm younger than I really am? I changed them!
Brings back memories. So glad you have such a great companion. What a wonderful husband and father he is.
thats too cute, love your story!
Loved this post. So cute, I remember your wedding was so cute I still remember coming to it. Your pics are cute thanks for sharing.
That's a great story!
So fun to hear your "love story"
I'll have to thank James for the "lie" because we are so glad your together.
I can't imagine a more perfect couple!
Ya.. I think you guys owe James one! :)
First of all.. we all copy each other in the blogging world.. sheesh.. I copied Laurie Anne.
2nd of all.. I miss that Monica in the old days! I wanted to cry seeing you in the Russia picture. It seems so long ago.. yet yesterday. Are we old?
LOVE your LOVE story.. and love that you knew me during mine. :)
That is the sweetest lie I have ever heard of. What a cute story! I love the pictures you shared!
Monica!
That was such a sweet story! Isn't it interesting how we all ended up with our spouses. I love that everyone has a story! Your story is great! Ah, love! I hope your Valentines Day was blissful and full of love! Have a wonderful day! -Suzanne
Love it! what an awsome post!
I LOVE this post!!! Thanks for sharing :)
Awww...Mo you are so dang cute!! I didn't know all of that about the two of you! I love hearing how people ended up together! Love all the fun pictures! You are so well traveled!
Post a Comment