Our next tradition, and it's a favorite for our kiddo's, was started last year. Grandma and Grandpa Dearden got the kids these great advent calendars. The boys get Lego's and Carlie got Polly Pocket this year and Barbie last year. Each night they get to open a door to find a surprise. I think this is the only time of year they look forward to bedtime all day!
The first Saturday of every December is set aside for the annual Beckstrand Family Christmas Party. We all get together, eat yummy food and enjoy the chaos each others company. It's also (hopefully) becoma traditions for my cousin Brian's family to stay at our house when they come for the party. They have two boys and then a girl just like us, and the kids get along so well. The kids play while we stay up late and laugh! Carlie has been asking every day when "Awie", (Allie) can come back to sleep over!
All the kids 18 and under draw names and exchange gifts. The boys both got Lego's this year (score!), but my camera battery was dead and Carlie got a FurReal Pet Kitty that she hasn't put down since (I had to bribe her to leave it home from Church).
My sweet Uncle Don made each family one of these beautiful Christus statues! He is the same Uncle that made my Nativity that I showed last year here. A few of my pieces had been broken in one of our moves and he replaced them for me this year. What a talented and thoughtful man he is!
We always know what to expect from my sweet Grandma, it's her tradition. We each receive a small bag, with money, socks and a handmade ornament. I knew there was a story behind this, and my mom reminded of how the sock tradition came to be. Grandma's mother had a rental home, every year she saved some of the rental money and at Christmas time bought stockings for the family a tradition which Grandma has carried on. She also makes each of us an ornament, this year they were doves.....our little tree in the basement holds a few of the many she's done over the years. Each family receives a handmade dish cloth (or hot pad) and a scrubber. But the gift I look forward to each year is her homemade caramel nut roll.......HEAVENLY! Each family gets one..... I have to admit the first few years we were married, I didn't share, I ate the entire thing myself. I figured if Derrick never got to taste it, he wouldn't miss it, right? Notice, no picture of the nut roll, yea, it's gone already!
I'd love to hear some of your traditions!

7 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):
I seriously laughed when I saw there was no nut roll. ha-ha..
I LOVED to hear about the sock tradition.. I hope you will always keep this traditions going.. even when you are " Grandma Dearden.."
I can't wait to read all about your traditions.. I know it's a busy time of year.. and not many people are on blogs.. but I am here.. and I want to read!!
Did you decorate today?
Call me soon! Tomm maybe after pre-school???
I can't believe Christmas is sneaking up on us so fast! I hope you get your stuff done. Me? Zero percent of shopping is done.
Monna, this post made me really miss the Christmas party. It looks like it was so much fun! I missed you guys! But guess what, I'm coming home tomorrow!!!!! And I'll be home til January!!!!!
I know what you mean, traditions are the best and they truly make my christmas as well!
I just noticed the cute new pics on your sidebar and they are ADORABLE!
I cannot keep up with you!! :) I miss hearing Grandma play the piano too. One of my favorite traditions is going to My parents house on Christmas morning for breakfast. We've had Christmas breakfast together since we were kids.
I love traditions. I love Christmas!
How fun for you guys to have a big Christmas party. I am glad Carlie got the FurReal. Now her and Ayla both have one.
I love homemade things. They mean so much more than bought things. How wonderful you have those statues and ornaments.
One of our traditions is to get all the nieces and nephews together and decorate sugar cookies and then go out and look at Christmas lights. We usually have hot chocolate too. I love traditions.
I have (hand made) your kids and my grand kids quilts...and at least 2 pair of pajamas each...for Brock and Kaleb...and 3 long beautiful (WARM) night gowns for Carlie, and quilts for her also for Christmas the past few years but..."
Post a Comment