Wednesday, May 6, 2009

{Preschool}

I have a bunch of Preschool questions and who better than to help me out than all my super great bloggy friends?!?

I've been thinking for awhile now about starting a small, like 5-8 kids small, preschool here in my home. Carlie is ready for some sort of preschool, but she can't go to Kindergarten for two more years (she missed the deadline by just a few weeks), I love kiddos, it would save me a trip to town 4 times a week, not to mention $$, and before I quit college got my Associates degree and decided Derrick needed a Bachelors degree more than I did, my major was Early Childhood Development, and mostly I just think I'd enjoy it. I've pretty much decided I'm going to do it, but here's where all the questions come up. How much to charge? I'm thinking 2 days a week.... for an hour and a half, or two hours? What about a supply fee at the first? Treats? Anything that your child's preschool did that you just loved? What do you think are the basics a child needs to know when starting Kindergarten? Maybe this isn't the best idea? I don't know!!! I'm not very good at making decisions!
What do you all think? Share, please! Any and all help/input would be great!


12 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Suzanne said...

Hmmm.....I don't know if I have a lot of qualifications to give advice. I think you are very brave and if your heart songs are playing to do it then you should and not listen to your head. I know a lady that use to do it with a small group of kids in her home but I never really saw the costs because Shae was not old enough.

Lots of basics to be taught in preschool, letters, numbers, colors, patterns, sciences, maths, wow there is a lot.

One thing that Shae's preschool does that I like is that they teach her songs to learn concepts. Right now, she can count by tens because she remembers the songs she learned. Music is great in teaching.

Hope that helps, I wish you all the best of luck and I am cheering you on! Good Luck and follow your dreams! -Suzanne

Ann Marie said...

I have no advice for this other than I think you should TOTALLY do it! ( AS long as you can still call me sometimes.. ) :)

I'll ask around here about $$. Whatever you do.. I know it will be good. Your a good Mom and you are creative. I'm sure you'll be great!!

crystal said...

I think that is a great idea. I think 2 hours is a good amount of time. I actually really liked having my Taitum in school from 8-12 4 days a weeks but he got a little burnt out. I think a small fee would be good for supplies and snacks. I have alot of ideas on what preschool kids do just from Taitum being in it this year but it's pretty basic letters, writing there names, songs, listening, numbers, basic social skills, science projects, colors etc.

good luck

Shalise said...

You would be so great at it.. Danica and Bryhn have gone to the same gal.. She is in my Mom's ward and she is amazing. She did require a deposit, she had an outline of what she would be teaching.. My girls LOVE her.. She has a calendar every month. Bryhn right now for her first year goes 2 x's a week and we pay $80. She will go 3x's next year and we will be paying $95. I could send you a copy of the stuff she has done, you probably would not need it since your SO creative yourself. Also, the kids had to be potty trained.. You go girl, I am interested in hearing what you decide.

Anonymous said...

Good idea since preschool is getting trimmed next year at the school- I herd they're only having 1 class, so that would be great for you to do!My opinion (take it or leave it :)is that if they're already paying X amount each month that that should include everything.Snacks aren't that much if you buy in bulk, and you can get school supplies really cheap @the begining of the year @ Walmart.I know I have a budget that if new fees are thrown @ me it upsets everything else.Just my take on it. :) Good luck & have fun.

Colledge Family said...

If we lived or live in Meadow I would for sure have Katie up there because she could totally use the time away from home and she needs friends!! I think it's a great idea especially so those in Meadow don't have to go to Fillmore all the time :) And she is also pretty good at her numbers and things, but I want her to start learning things like how the numbers and letters look along with knowing just how to say them.

Lisa said...

You know that I am ALL for you to do it... that will give me a couple hours to have "me" time while you will have Ty ;) You are going to do an awesome job!!!

Jense Family said...

Hey Mo!
You would do a great job. All of my kids have done preschool and my SIL teaches preschool. Here it cost $50.00 a month per kid for 2 hours 2 days a week. That is what we paid in Idaho also. And both places charged a regs fee ($25). One thing my SIL does is she has their names printed out with the dotted line font and a Yes/No magnetic question board. While they are waiting for everyone to come they trace their name and place it on the question board (each day they have a new question) under yes or no. The kids love it and it fills time while you are waiting for everyone to get their. If that doesn't make sense I will tell ya later. Good Luck with your decision! But if you choose to do it you will do great!!!!!!!!!

The Higgs' said...

Hey Monica. You would do so good at it. Preschool here runs around $50 a month for 2-3 days a week. One thing that they did when Hailey was in Preshcool was each week was assigned a letter and that week everything they learned was centered around that letter. Then for show and tell that week they had to bring something that started with that letter. I guess kind of like sound bags we did in kindergarten. They also made an alphabet scrapbook. Each page was a letter and they had glued on things to the page that started with that letter. It really helped to teach the letters and sounds. Harbor has also learned lots of fun songs that have helped her to learn her letters and their sounds.
Good luck. You will do great if you decide to do it.

Marilee said...

Jacob's pre-school teacher has been awesome and she been doing it for YEARS! Maybe she would give you some of her curriculum ideas--if you would like her phn number I'll pass it along. Starting a pre-school is a big investment so if you really start one up you would probably want to do it for many years. If you are just looking for a nice way to do preshcol with Carlie for the next 2 years, then here's another idea...my sister is an educator but has never taught in a classroom because she is a stay-at-home-mom (the best kind to be) and she and 4 or 5 of her nieghbors started a little pre-school and took a turn for a week to have the kids at her house and prepared the lesson plans for that week (3 days). So, every 6 weeks she would have "preschool" at her house and prepare the stuff for it. The kids just rotated houses for school and they loved it! That way they didn't have to ivest in special materials (tables, chairs, etc) Anyway....just and idea (call me for more details 801-465-5047)

Leslie said...

The Jense Family basically said exactly what I would have told you. The only difference is the cost for my kids was $55 / mo instead of 50. It was 2 times per week. They learned to write one letters, numbers and they learned their colors and to write their first name. One thing that was fun........They had a mystery bag that each child had a chance to take home and they would put something in it that started with the letter they were working on. They had to come up with clues and the parents would write the clues and put it in the bag with whatever the child chose and the other kids would have to guess what was in the mystery bag. My kids loved it. Anyway.... I think you'd be great at it.

Miss Megan said...

I think it's a great idea!

We have a licensed day care at the Legacy Center (where I work). The prices are probably a lot higher than what you would charge but they offer Mon/Wed/Fri classes or Tues/Thurs, and they also charge an up-front material fee (a good idea if you are starting out and need to get some supplies). It's always a lot of fun to see the kids come in with their cute little back packs. They color, sing songs, learn their numbers and letters, and I have even got to help participate in some of the holiday parties that they do. Most of our customers are repeaters, and I like that the also offer a 3 month summer program.

I think you ought to give it a try for the summer, and if you like it, continue on into the fall. That way you won't get too burned out and you can work out any kinks you have. Good luck!