Wednesday, January 19, 2011

{Catch-Up~ Christmas Eve}

Christmas Eve is always a busy tradition filled day! We always go to my parents for a candlelight dinner. None of us really remembers when or why we started eating by candlelight, but it's been a tradition almost as long as I can remember. You would think candlelight=fancy, right? Not for the Beckstrand clan, we feast on pizza!
We always have to hurry and eat, so we can make it to the Ward Christmas Eve Program. I love that our ward party is still on Christmas Eve. I know some people would like to see it changed, but I LOVE it! That's what we've always done, the same thing year after year, it's our tradition. A quick program, a few fun Christmas songs, a special visitor and some goodies. Quick, easy and fun! This year was a bit more stressful for me as I happened to end up in charge of the program (one of the "perks" of being in the Primary Presidency). I tried to keep it simple and thought it turned out pretty well.
The kids each got one last chance to tell Santa what they hope he'll bring them, (like the poor guy could really do much about it if they change their minds at that point) and he gives them a bag filled with goodies.
We headed home to decorate cookies for Santa. No milk for Santa round these parts, it's Coke all the way!
Then we open one gift..... Jammies! (can't be wearin' old Jammies on Christmas morning) This year Santa emailed each of the kids a special video from the North Pole, so we watched each of those and then it was off to bed to try and get some sleep!

5 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Ann Marie said...

Coke for Santa.. who knew?

I L-O-V-E that your ward still holds on to the old school traditions. I'm not sure I have seen a Santa in these parts for like 20 years? For reals.

Is that a crusty I see Miss Carlie giving? So cute.. just like her Momma.

Candlelight dinners are awesome!

Call me after pre-school tomorrow.. or I may forget what I need to tell you.. haha.. XO Goodnight

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Your kids are so stinkin cute!!!
I am so happy for a Christmas post. I want it to last longer.

Miss Megan said...

Coke for Santa! I love it! I mean, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since he is on every coke can/bottle during the month of December. I think that family traditions (or even in this case ward traditions) are really what Christmas is all about. :)

Brittany H said...

I bet Santa LOVES coke. haha. I love all your traditions, that's what Christmas is to me--traditions and family. Your kids are super cute!

CB said...

It's so fun catching up with the last few posts. You live in a place that is totally my style - Lots of traditions, family and friends.
I cannot believe your ward does the Christmas party on Christmas Eve - in a way it's cool but if it was me in charge I would have a nervous breakdown - ha ha!! Love the tradition though.

Thanks for you sweet email. Thanks for offering to help. You are so creative I just may end up taking you up on it!!