Sunday, October 25, 2009

{My Karate Kid}

(Brock didn't want me to use this picture, because his thumb is out, and that isn't correct, but well, I liked it and didn't listen)

I had the opportunity this past week to attend an assembly at the Elementary school that Brock's Karate group participated in. Brock started Karate earlier this year, and it's been such a good thing for him. I've been so impressed with his teachers, Miss Camile and Miss Monica and the fact that these kids not only are learning Karate, but also discipline, kindness and are building self-esteem. Before Brock can pass off and advance a belt, he has to have one of his parents and also his teacher sign a form stating that he conducts himself both at home and school in an appropriate manner and that he is kind and courteous. He also must complete 5 random acts of kindness to receive a stripe on each belt.

Each week, as they end class they recite their creed. Each of the kids has it memorized and I hope they all have really listened and thought about what it means to them. I was so impressed, I had Brock repeat it for me, so I could share it with you.

**Karate Creed**


Discipline- the key ingredient for success in life is a discipline of mind and body. Setting goals and making sure they are accomplished builds discipline. Whatever goal I set for myself, I’ll first get a mental image in my mind, of exactly what it is I want to achieve. Then, I’ll be determined and persistent enough to overcome all obstacles that get in my way towards that goal. Finally, I’ll train and study accordingly, until that goal is accomplished.

I hope Brock knows how proud I am of him for working hard at this and sticking with it. I've seen so much growth in him since he began Karate, and I love it! Way to go buddy!

5 nice, polite comments! (otherwise, don't bother!):

Ann Marie said...

Cute pictures of your Karate Kiddo!

I like the creed. Very cool.

I have missed you. It seems weird that I havent talked to you all week.. Maybe tomm?

Hope all is well down there.. ♥ ya!

TLC said...

Wow...sign my nephew up for karate because that's awesome.
And tell him we ladies in the blog world thought that picture was a very handsome "karate kid"

I love that before they get a belt they have to have you sign that sheet about how they are at home.

Did not know that.

Marilee said...

the Karate Creed has some big words in it--good for Brock!! I'm glad he is enjoying his class.

Heather said...

What an awesome program for him! That is so cool! I love the creed!

Suzanne said...

I need to say that creed every day of my life!! Especially when I am around pastries, sugar and bread. I lose control of my body and instincts. Way cool that he is doing so well with Karate! -Suzanne